Sunday, April 20, 2008

Carolee is an inspiration!

We spent a large part of the weekend helping Heath's mom move into her new house. The new house isn't far from the old one, maybe 100 yards. But moving furniture is always a big job and can be a hungry one.

In the days and weeks that have passed before and since Heath's dad died we've been able to spend time getting reacquainted with Heath's brother Seth, his wife Carolee and their kids.My sister in law Carolee has always been one of my very favorite people. She is a woman of many talents. She's always thoughtful and has been a great encouragement to me during the years I've known her. In fact...lots of what I do in my own home is in an effort to emulate hers. (Oh yeah, that soup and sing along at Christmas? STOLEN from Carolee. Those 'impromptu' gatherings? STOLEN!) Their home is welcoming and warm and always, always a place to find an over the top snack option.

This weekend Carolee came to the moving not just to help but, as always, to feed. She said she found this recipe in one of those chick-ish magazines, but in my heart and mind I just know she was blessed with it in a dream!!! OK, my version. (which is essentially hers.) THE most delicious bread, well, ever.

3 cups of SELF RISING FLOUR, mixed with 1 cup of SUGAR, and one BEER. I did a test run and tried a plain ole Miller Lite and a separate loaf with one delicious SMITHWICKS. (Smithwicks is an Irish red beer.) We loved both, but slightly preferred the one with the Smithwicks. It just had....something. OK, so mix those 3 ingredients. The dough will be sticky and heavy. Pour into a greased loaf pan. put into a preheated 350 degree oven. cook for 30 minutes and pull out of the oven. melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour over the top and return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Carolee would be ashamed because she topped with 1 whole stick of butter. I feel sure that the entire stick of butter will make it even more delicious. total bake time is 45 minutes.


Now for dinner I made a grilled turkey and havarti sandwich and cried a little at the perfection. I feel sure it will make me cry in delight again when I try it with some homemade mayhaw jelly.

No comments: