Saturday, February 20, 2010

What does it mean to be "Southern?"

I had my annual vestry retreat this weekend. We're a very small church with a very faithful congregation. Our Senior Warden is a great guy who drives a long way just to come to church. He's one cool cat. But today he made the comment, "I don't like chicken salad and I don't like sweet tea."

Well, I was taken aback! How can you consider yourself southern and not love chicken salad and sweet tea? I love sweet tea so much that I gave it up for Lent!! Sweet tea is supposed to help me get closer to God! Sweet tea is an art and our birthright as southerners.

I decided to protest my southern yankee friend and make chicken salad for dinner....fancy chicken salad. Here's the recipe.

remove and chop meat from one whole smoked chicken. Chop 3 stalks of cleaned celery. slice 1 cup of red seedless grapes and add. Add 1 package of honey glazed slivered almonds. add 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley. Add 1/2 cup of mayo, 1 teaspoon of curry, salt and pepper to taste.

Then come tell me you don't like chicken salad!

4 comments:

Brian C said...

That ain't your Daddy's chicken salad, but I'll take it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. Great job. I did not expect this on a Wednesday. This is a great story. Thanks!

Cudi Bug said...

Bill probably doesn't eat mayo...that is why he is so thin...we on the other hand... ;)....LOVE MAYO and Slather it on anything we can...
can't wait to try the recipe...

Unknown said...

I am not Southern and have been living in the South for the past two years--I concur, it is very difficult to BE Southern and not like sweet tea. That's like saying you don't like sunny days and sleeping puppies.