Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Crab Bisque

Sunday night we had about a pound and a half of hand picked snow crab meat. I decided to make one of my favorite things...bisque.

I needed some seafood shells to make this work so I started a veloute:

1 stick of butter. 1/2 cup of flour. melt and stir until blonde. Add beef or chicken stock and allow to simmer. season. In a separate pot add olive oil and allow to heat. To the heated oil add coarsely chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Once they have browned, add shells from 2 lbs of shrimp/crab. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and 2 teaspoon of paprika and continue to brown. Add 1 cup of white type wine to deglaze. AFter deglazing add your veloute.

This mixture needs to cook for about 45 minutes. add seasonings of choice and continue to taste through the process. After 45 minutes push your bisque through a sieve. it's important to both drain and to push all available flavor through.

Return to stove and continue to heat. Add 1/2 cup of cream. once the bisque is steaming add thawed corn, about a cup, cooked crab meat and shrimp. This will only need to heat gently. adjust seasoning with worchestishire, seasoned salt.

drizzle with sherry.

Yum. It's a little labor intensive but 100% worth the work.

2 comments:

jbstanley said...

Hi BBQ Lady!

MY editor sent me a link to your blog and I love it. I write food mysteries and recently wrote one about BBQ. I loved the idea of having women win some of the major categories in the BBQ competition, so my fictional BBQ Ladies, the Adams Ribbers, kick some serious butt. I think y'all would get along! Anyway, love the food, love the blog. You go, Princess.

JB Stanley, author of the newly released mystery, Stiffs & Swine.

Dharmabum906 said...

BBQ confidence in a woman is sex appeal of the highest order. Love your site. One question on the bisque: how much stock do you add to the blond roux? Thanks!

Bruce